Thursday, May 11, 2006

Rant of the Day.

I don't necessarily like the games and other content that's being made and sold out there today, but this is just ridiculous.

Parents, know what your kids are doing. Be nosey. They are CHILDREN. They shouldn't have real privacy. The illusion of privacy is fine, but when I've had to call a parent and tell them about pictures on a myspace blog that your child has had and maintained for at least two years, and you have absolutely NO clue, I get concerned. I know the internet makes it hard. I know that kids can go to friends' houses and do alot. But make it your business. Please. As a teacher, I see how important this is every day.

/end of rant

2 comments:

Hobbier said...

Absolutely. Parents need to be nosy where their kids are concerned. How could any kid play a game for 36 hours without the parents being aware of what he is doing. I do think it's a good idea to have games rated so that parents can make good choices but having a rating on a game will not keep a kid from playing for 36 hours straight. That requires direct parental involvement.

TechnoGeekGirl said...

Oh definitely, I'm all for game ratings. I don't know many kids or teens that can order things off of the internet either. I guess in a world where you can buy prepaid Visa and Mastercard at CVS or whatever, anything is possible, though. That's where being NOSY comes in. You're not going to stop everything, but you will never know if you don't talk to your child and take notice of what goes on in their lives. Check up on them. Take the internet out of their rooms. Use that Vchip on the tv in their bedroom (if they must have one), keep phone lines in public areas in the house. Keep game consoles in family areas. Just a few ideas, anyway. And, if I was a parent, I would totally have blocking and tracking software on the home computer. The kind that will email you every so often about what's going on on the computer. At least now and then, anyway. Yeah, my kids would be annoyed, but so what. I know too much about what's out there. I'd rather be safe than sorry.