Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Techie Tips of the Day



Tips for Avoiding Spyware Infections

I recommend installing these programs IN ADDITION to anything else you have installed:


  • Spywareblaster by Javacool Software - It's FREE!
  • SpywareGuard also by Javacool Software - also Free!
  • Google Toolbar - pop-up blocking. This is the ONLY toolbar I've found that doesn't add a bunch of crap to your computer. The Yahoo! toolbar is obnoxious and adds more then just a toolbar, and the Altavista toolbar slows down your browser.
  • Spybot - spyware and adware scanner. These can be tricky. Many programs SAY they scan for spyware, but actually ARE spyware. This one is one of the good guys.
  • Ad-aware - another scanner. I use BOTH, because between Spybot and Adaware, they ecah catch different things. There is a free version, and there are paid versions as well.

The free part isn't a trick, these are just companies that think the basics of security and privacy should be available to everyone. Some of them are trying to sell a fancier paid version of the program, but the free versions do work. I use these in our labs at school. I have very few spyware problems now compared to before I used these things.

As for the Microsoft Anti-spyware/Windows Defender program, call me unimpressed. Spybot and Ad-aware catch cookies and other stuff that that the Microsoft program never even tells me about. And it has a tendency to 'ignore' things that are KNOWN spyware, such as the insidious GAIN network software. It has been rumored that Microsoft is about to acquire the company that runs GAIN (or has acquired it in secret). Hmmm. Color me suspicious. And to be honest, why would I trust the company that created the operating system that is so insecure that this is even a widespread problem to START with to the task of 'securing' it after the fact? I do have it installed, mostly because I want to see what it misses. I wouldn't rely on it as your only protection.


technorati tags: ,, , , ,

6 comments:

The ConCLAYve-Nan said...

You're right about that Yahoo toolbar. Had to get rid of that pronto. What do you think of Trend Micro Anti-Spyware?

TechnoGeekGirl said...

I haven't used it personally, but Trend Micro has a good reputation, and their other products are good. I use alot of their virus cleaning tools on computers people bring to me. They usually make a cleaning tool specific to the virus and distribute it for free. No matter what, I NEVER rely on just one product. I guess I'm paranoid. *G*

Anonymous said...

I think using Firefox, or a browser other than Internet Explorer, is also very important for preventing spyware infections. I describe a few more tips in "Free Anti-Virus Software Strategy" that may be helpful.

http://www.photobird.com/learn/freeantivirus.html

You have all the good programs covered though! They really work well, and thankfully they're free.

TheClayBlog said...

Good points! I can tell you that at my company though, they have disallowed Google Toolbar because it tries to upload files to its own server or something. Do you know anything about that?

TechnoGeekGirl said...

It only does that if you enable the reporting feature when you install it. It's actually harmless, but it's easy to say no when you install it. It gives you the OPTION, which is what the others do not do.

TheClayBlog said...

Ah, I see. Well, I guess my company doesn't want people to have the option to have company proprietary stuff reported! I haven't tried it at home either. Maybe I will.